Local attractions and activities
Here are just a few of the many things to do and places to go around Brookwood Bed and Breakfast. We will be updating this regularly. If you are looking for something in particular, just ask us!
Schools and Camps
- Academy at Swift River, Plainfield/Cummington (1 mile)
- Greenwood Music Camp, Cummington (2 miles)
- Shire Village Camp, Cummington (2 miles)
- Smith College, Northampton, 40 minute drive (23 miles)
- Amherst College, 55 minute drive (29 miles)
- Hampshire College, 55 minute drive (29 miles)
- University of Massachusetts, 55 minute drive (29 miles)
- Williams College, 55 minute drive (28 miles)
- Mt. Holyoke College, 1 hour drive (34 miles)
- Kingman Tavern Historical Museum, Cummington 5 minute drive (3 miles)
- William Cullen Bryant Homestead, Cummington, 10 minute drive (5 miles)
- Bisbee Mill Museum, Chesterfield, MA, 20 minutes (9 miles)
- Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum, Shelburne Falls, 30 minutes (16 miles)
- Smith College Museum of Art , Northampton, 40 minutes (23 miles)
- MassMOCA, North Adams, 45 minutes (23 miles)
- Berkshire Museum, Pittsfield, 45 minutes (25 miles)
- Hancock Shaker Village, Pittsfield, 50 minutes (30 miles)
- Tanglewood, Lenox, 1 hour (33 miles)
- Jacob's Pillow
Ski and Outdoor Centers
For more information, visit the Massachusetts Maple Producers Association.
- Thatcher's Sugarhouse, Plainfield. Just a few minute drive. (1.5 miles). Maple syrup and other maple products.
- South Face Farm, Ashfield. 15 minute drive (5 miles). Sugarhouse restaurant open weekends in March and early April.
- The Red Bucket Sugar Shack (413-238-7710), Worthington. 30 minutes (14 miiles). Pancake restaurant open weekends mid-Feb to mid-April.
- Gould's Sugarhouse, Shelburne. 35 minute drive (18 miles). Restaurant open during sugaring season and fall foliage season.
- Davenport Maple Farm (413-625-2866), Shelburne. 40 minute drive (20 miles). Restaurant open weekends, March to mid-April.
State Forests, Parks, and Wildlife Management Areas
- Kenneth Dubuque Memorial State Forest, 2.5 miles, about 5 minutes by car or an easy bike ride. "47 miles of snowmobile trails, 35 miles of horse trails, 6 miles of hiking trails, historic sites, etc."
- Cummington Wildlife Management Area, 10 minute drive (3 miles), "rich mesic woodland, ledges, hunting, hiking, birding."
- Windsor State Forest, 15 minute drive (8 miles), "spectacular beauty of cascading falls at Windsor Jambs, sandy beach on the Westfield River, hiking, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, fishing, hunting."
- Eugene Moran Wildlife Management Area, 20 minute drive (13 miles), "open fields, grouse habitat, beaver meadows, birding, cross-country skiing, hiking, hunting."
- Savoy Mountain State Forest, 25 minute drive (13 miles), "Miles of wooded trails invite recreational use of the forest in all seasons. Spectacular natural features include Bog Pond, with its floating bog islands, and Tannery Falls, which cascades through a deep chasm, finally plunging over a precipice to a clear pool below."
- Mohawk Trail State Forest, 25 minute drive (15 miles), "clear, cold river cascades along a pebbled streambed, trout fishing, swimming area, Indian trails open for hiking."
- Ashfield Wildlife Conservation Easeement
- Hiram H. Fox Wildlife Management Area
- Fox Den Wildlife Management Area
- Fisk Meadows Wildlife Management Area
- Lily Pond Wildlife Management Area
- Hawley Natural Heritage Area
- Peru Wildlife Management Area
- Chalet Wildlife Management Area
- Stafford Hill Wildlife Management Area
- John J. Kelly Wildlife Management Area
- Wright/Mica Mill Wildlife Conservation Easement
- Powell Brook Wildlife Management Area
- Day Mountain Wildlife Management Area